Sunday 4 September 2016

First Blog Entry

Blogs are a great way of one to express themselves but that depends on how much detail they want to reveal about themselves to the exposed world of the internet. One can use metaphors and symbolism to represent events that have occurred in that individual's life. Sharing with your friends and family is easy and no thought has to be put into it, but sharing with people from all around the world which you do not have idea of who they are, requires thought into what should I say and what should I keep it to myself. I am not of a big private person, once I get close enough with someone where I can start to feel comfortable with them I open up. But this is a blog, it is public and this is where the importance of privacy and the information you choose to reveal come along.

My name is Luiza and I am currently studying in an IB Programme School and I am in the DP Programme. I am 16 years old and I am Brazilian. I completely love English as a subject and books. Even though I watch more movies than I read books, once I find a good book that really interests me and I can connect to it, I stay glued to that book until I finish it. I believe that books give you a perspective that the movie doesn't. Furthermore in the book you imagine the scenery while in the movie it is just there for you. My interests consist of nature, family, animals, activities in the open and music. The things I most care about are family and nature. As long as I am surrounded by at least one person which I am comfortable with and in the silence of the wild with a stravagant view,  I am fine. 

My dreams for this year and in the future are to find myself more and identify what I really want to do in life, but sometimes I just feel lost. Sometimes I just find myself thinking and setting ordinary goals like everyone else, I am not looking foward to conform to this society that only focusses in one thing. I want to be an individual and have my focus on many objectives and ideas. Another one of my goals is to get my driver's license and also adopt a dog. Academic wise I really want to be able to enjoy all of my classes because as long as I am doing something I like, I will do it well. 

Language is inevitable. We have around 6,000 different languages in our world but they are dying every now and day. Thanks to language we can express ourselves, thanks to language I can write this blog entry and thanks to language we can think. Without language I could not even imagine what this world would be like. We as a nation would probably develop sign language in order to communicate with people, but again, sign language is a language. There is no way, whatsoever to communicate without language.

Language has a pretty big role in my life since I speak four, and need 3 of them constantly. I speak English in the country I live, in the the school I go to with my friends there and I am typing English on this blog right now. However I speak Portuguese in my home country and at my home with my parents. Furthermore I speak Italian with my Grandma and towards family members in Italy, and finally French I only speak in school. Language is a barrier between people and I am breaking each one at time. It is pretty important to study language because this way you can fortify the grammar and vocabulary on that certain language. Additionally by learning about language, it becomes easier to learn and use the proper words to express ourselves in more depth and description. Sometimes words don't have to be used in order for someone to express themselves. AS an example of that is art. Art is a form of language.

You see, language is all over the part and no one can escape it. Language is crucial to us and to the world. All languages are... not just the most spoken languages. I believe that all languages should be preserved because each of them is important and unique. Each and every language has it's own expressive ways.

Lastly something I would like to adress is language barrier. It has happened to me many times since I moves to this country and it still happens. When you do not speak a language that at least other two individuals speak, that creates a barrier and you feel excluded when they speak that language because you do not understand it. Besides projecting the feeling of exclusion on people, it is considered rude to speak languages around those who aren't familiar with the same language.

Languages are amazing because each of them has something unique in them. However no one knows all the languages and that creates a language barrier. Ironic isn't it?!


4 comments:

  1. Luiza, I really enjoyed learning about your varied interests and aspirations through your first blogpost. I could not agree more with your statement that "books give you a perspective that the movie doesn't," as I am a fervent believer of the concept that books allow each individual to perceive content in personal unique ways that movies do not. I was also not previously acquainted with your fondness for nature! I think it is truly great that you value nature in today's age where not much emphasis is laid on this vital element of the world. I look forward to reading more of your blogposts! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This introductory post was enjoyable to read. It was nice to learn more about your interest and I admit that I really admire your sense of nonconformity #rememberstargirl. One comment that resonates with me is that if you are doing something you like, you will do well. I hope you find opportunities within this course to explore ideas and interests that are engaging to you, because like you say, this is the key to finding success.

    Four languages! I will be calling on you a lot during our first unit. I also believe you will have many unique experiences you can draw from for the first written task we will complete in this course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Luiza! I really enjoyed reading about your perspective on your life, the world and language. The first note I had to make was the unique metaphor you introduced yourself through. I genuinely connect with what you have said, theres mo much to the world that we want to experience yet we've only been exposed to the last two seconds of the cosmic year (#TOK brain on). Secondly, you are still a tiny planet explorer, you have an abundance of years ahead of you and so you shouldn't worry too early on about what you want to do. According to Mr. Michael #rememberstargirl and you'll be fine. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this blogpost as it opened my eyes towards many things about yourself and the world.
    "by learning about language, it becomes easier to learn and use the proper words to express ourselves in more depth and description" I cannot wait for us to all learn so much more and improve throughout this course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luiza, I really enjoyed reading your blog although I know you quite well. I really like how you highlighted the fact that you do not want to conform to societies norms of having just another "ordinary job". I think this is something that is rare to find and reflects your great carefree personality! Something that caught my attention is how you perceive language and its importance. This is evident where you stated: "It becomes easier to learn and use the proper words to express ourselves in more depth and description". Clearly, I believe that with such perspective and interest in poetry- you will strive for the best and do well in this English course. Wish you best and hope you keep up that individuality #stargirl

    ReplyDelete