Sunday 27 August 2017

the life of a trilingual student + Boys and Girls

As a trilingual person (portuguese, italian, english), during the holidays things get very confusing. Since in Brazil the only language spoken is Portuguese, I have been speaking Portuguese for one month and a half....
Which mean that my English went back to what it was like when I first got here in Abu Dhabi back in Grade 7, although it will come back eventually. Another aspect regarding languages is my accent. I now realized that when I speak in portuguese I no longer sound like a native, I sound like a foreigner who learned to speak the language. Additionally I have come to realize that my thoughts are now in English and when I spoke them in Portuguese, it sounded as if I had translated them on google translate. Basically, speaking a bunch of languages is pretty hard and it gets messy.

Furthermore, the readings that I was assigned to complete during summer holiday are going pretty well. The analysis part takes a while because it has to be very detailed but the stories itself are interesting. 

My favorite one would have to be Boys and Girls. Firstly I have already read that story back in Grade 11 or 10 (can't really remember the time frame) and secondly that story is more than just a story as it portrayed how women were inferior to men in that century and how the have been fighting since that time which was in 1968 to break the expectations of what a woman should look, do or behave like. Hence reinforcing feministic views. I really enjoyed reading this again because as I feminist myself it pleases me to see the development of it and how women were fighting it with literature. Furthermore what really stood out to me in this specific story is the horse Flora as a symbol of the narrator herself. A wild girl who does not want to be trained by no one and the only thing that she wants is to be free and do whatever may please her. However in the century she is living and in the society she is situated, other factors such as her family corner her into falling into this domesticated girl she is supposed to be. This accurately represents the struggle of many girls and the pressure they suffered form their parents and the people around them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment