Saturday 15 October 2016

Interview - Stromae

Stromae is a talented French rapper who was born in Belgium. He has struggled a lot in life and he used those experiences to express himself through the creative outlet of music. Stromae does not necessarily reflect on a struggle related to race or culture, it is based in personal experiences that he has suffered through life. Today we will be discussing the meaning and the message through one of his most famous song, “Papaoutai”. Furthermore we will be discussing how his music has impacted society as a whole and the communities around him. 

  • Stromae, what is the song that you have composed that you can say that was purely based in a past experience that has marked your life?
  • From all the songs I have written the most personal one that I can related to a marking past experience is “Papaoutai”. That song goes all the way back to when I was 1. I lost my father due to the Rwandan Genocide. In the song I explain how all fathers will eventually go but I lost mine really early and growing up without one was pretty hard. In the beginning I didn't know the concept of death and that meant I did not know that my father was gone forever, I always wondered where he was and I was constantly asking myself and my mom where could he be hiding. This songs even though reflects on the aspects of life loss it could relate to other people whose fathers have abandoned them or simply work all day and don’t have time for their children. I comment on how many people know how to make babies but not all know to to act as proper dads and take care of their children, which unfortunately is a sad truth of our society because this type of things happens quite ofter.

  • Why did you choose to portray your feelings and experiences through music?
  • I chose to portray my ideas and feelings through music because I believe that it is a way of communication and a platform that nowadays it is more efficient than anything. Furthermore I also believe that through music not only you can convey ideas and experiences but you can make the listener feel something. One of the most fascinating things about music is that you can portray the feeling you are feeling to other people through lyrics and sound. I find that music has helped me a lot in my life and with music you can be free, because there is no defined structure which you have to follow. Another aspect of music is the style of rap. I love to rap in my songs because in my perspective I can demonstrate more feelings and expressions in a more detailed way.

  • Why did you choose the French language in order to express yourself even though you know German and English?
  • I personally chose French because in French I believe that one can be more expressive and the words are more meaningful but another reason is that I grew up with French therefore I feel more comfortable sinning in French than in another language. Furthermore The type of music that I created which was hip hop mixed with tapping was new in France and I was one of the artists that created an impact with the format. Additionally even though I sing only in French my music has spread all around the globe and I am very thankful for that. 

  • How do you think that your music has somehow impact the society in which you live in and other societies around the world?
  • I’d like to believe that all the music I have written so far has somehow inspired people or helped them through rough times, because most of the music I have written is based on a personal experience which I hope that people can relate to and empathise with the situation. The purpose of my songs are purely to express my ideas and share painful experiences (mostly) which perhaps could be something people can relate to and connect to the songs. 


Stromae thank you so much for your time and for sharing your perception and views on how music can impact the way we communicate. 

1 comment:

  1. Great choice of artist! Stromae is great.

    ReplyDelete